Monday, April 02, 2007

at long last

This is not a guaranteed entry in to the world of blogger.
It is just a sign that once in a while an aesthetic change is necessary.

Yesterday I watched a master at work...fingers danced over keys, manipulating screens. He He made art from bits and bytes of musical data. The art of the audio engineer has gone up 12 points in My Industrial Average. If I could be passionate about anything, it would be music.

side note: The double edged sword of the digital age has simultaneously made it possible for the world to record sounds, and made it impossible for the true artists of the field to be recognized. I have not lost hope, however, as a high quality, non-DRM format is the wave (yeah, I know) of the future...or so says Steve Jobs. Eventually the ridiculous compression of MySpace will no longer be the norm, and recording artists will get their due.

In other words, I would love to learn how to do what Jon Faber does so effortlessly. My audio teacher teased me with an unbelievable internship. He made me think that maybe that is the way I should go. The end of my life is creeping up on me, one class at a time.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
- John Cage (1912 - 1992)

No comments: